Oct 11, 2009

The cat that got away- A tribute to Whitty Part 1

It was on May 2008 when I decided to adopt a cat. I have been in the country for one year but taking in a cat is one big leap. I am aware that cats are not allowed in HDB and since Im just a foreigner here, I have to be extra careful with the laws of the land. Yes I know it is still illegal to keep cats in a flat but I know a lot of people who do it. None of them so far has been caught or penalised so I thought it was going to be fine. I got in touch with Jamie, an advocate for Cat Welfare Socieity. She invited me go all the way to Yishun to take a look at the cat. She said the name of the cat is Whitty. I was so excited to go all the way to Yishun although it was a little far from where I live (Tampines). I was contemplating on taking the cat home that day. I had to put that off though because I was about to move to a new flat. The current contract at the flat I was staying at will be expiring on June 9. I thought it would be perfect to get the cat after I have settled in the new unit.

Jamie told me that Whitty was supposed to be adopted by someone else. It was sad according to her. When the woman saw Whitty, she just said she didnt have any feelings for her. So Jamie put up her ad again online and changed the status from adopted to for adoption.

Then I called and emailed her. She seemed very happy to hear from me and asked me when I could pick up the cat. So I told her I had to see the cat first and also I was in the process of moving to a new house. I reassured her however that if I like the cat, I would bring the cat home.

Jamie and I scheduled to meet a week after our conversation on the phone. It was set, Ill come by on May 17 to take a look at the cat. A week prior to visiting Jamie at Yishun, there was an unexpected turn of event when Whitty fell from the 4th floor of an HDB flat. I was shocked. My first question was, is she alive? The woman said she is alive and was brought to the vet. After a moment of silence, she asked me if I still wanted to take her, I said, Ill have to see the extent of her injuries. I felt guilty and selfish saying that. But I didnt think it would be a good ideato take her in and then be unable to provide her with the extra care she deserved.

When I got to Yishun I met up with Jamie. She introduced me to the foster parent of the cat also but I forgot her name.

There was also one important information that she failed to tell me on the phone. Whitty has to be adopted with her sister Dapper.Hmm I thought. I was not sure whether I could handle it.But I just told myself, we will see.

So I met the 2 kitties.
Here is Dapper
and here is Whitty:

Dapper is a 3 colored short hair who seem shy at first but warms up within the next 30 minutes. Whitty on the other hand is more outgoing and friendly than Dapper. She is white colored and has some flecks of brown on her ears and paws. Among the 2 cats, I would say Whitty is the sweet one. Dapper is adorable too but she is just a little passive compared to her sister.

After seeing the two babies, I just couldnt resist the challenge and most of all Whitty's charming eyes. I decided to adopt Whitty..and Dapper too.








No comments:

Post a Comment

comments are moderated