Sep 19, 2009

Tribute to sushi part 2

this is the second part of my article for sushi.

Sushi came into our life last april 25 2009. At that exact day we had to visit ICA. I could not forget that day coz it just seemed to be teeming with so many interesting twists. First was our trip to ICA. We had no money left that day and we were so worried that the appointment would require for us to photocopy a lot of documents. Its a good thing that we had to spend less than 2 sgd. On our way home, we had some quick lunch at the hawker. We were lucky that our good friend Rowena had some spare cash to lend us. 20 bucks means a lot when you have nothing at all. Again that day we ran into the white cat we saw a few days ago.

The cat followed us all the way to our 13th floor pad. So we decided to adopt her. She didnt seem to put up much of a fight except when we had to give her a shower. We named her Sushi. Originally, my hubby wanted Sparkles and the nickname "Sparky" but that name just didnt appeal to me.

I never knew how old Sushi really was. There was something peculiar about the way her eyes or lens looked. Im sure she was more than a year old. But one thing Im sure of is that she was one very kind and affectionate cat. I felt her warmth and gratitude to us. She loves kneading on my arm everytime I hold her and set her beside me. I really dont mind it but somethimes she would leave my arm with welts and more than a dollop of her drool. ButI know she means well. I think it is her way of showing how happy she is to be with us.

Over the course of the next3 months, I saw Sushi's transformation. She used to have matted fur and was skinny. Graduallly, her coat became shinier and fluffy. she also seemed to have fattened up a bit. I could tell that she seem more relaxed and happy.

It was just wonderful to have her around . She is loyal, adorable and very very affectionate. She did have her own personality that was a contrast to the two other cats we have. She is indifferent sometimes to playing. She does not engage in whatever fun our two other cats were having. Also, she would gobble so much food to the point of having to barf it all up later on. I tried to apply some psychology to it. Maybe its because she never was accustomed to having food available all the time. She is probably worried that if she does not eat all of the food served now, she might feel regretful later on when there is none and she is hungry. Haha I think I could be wrong too. Maybe she is just hungry, or maybe her worms are. We blew off some of our hard earned cash to get her to the vet though. Deworming tablets and some gooey stuff to boost her immune system. Yes it was around 180 plus SGD. That does not include the extra budget we set aside for their catfood, litter, shampoo, special treats and toys. Damn our pets are spoiled.

It was worth it though. I am glad we gave her the best chance in life no one else could have given her. I could go on and on here about the other things that enamored me about that cat, but I feel really very sad at the moment. Yes she is gone. She passed away last August 4. It was so sudden. I just woke up and saw her with her tongue hanging out of her mouth like a dog. I feel guilty I had to go to work that day. It was a mistake not to have brought her to the vet. But then again, they screwed us many times over. I am yet to find a vet that I can really trust my cats with.

As for the panting I noticed on Sushi,I read somewhere it could mean some trouble breathing. I failed to mention that when we took her in, she had some lung infection already. That is why we compromised our budget for that month just so Sushi could be saved. Unfortunately, the vets didnt seem to have done their part of the deal. We paid so much but they just randomly diagnosed her with some medical condition and dismissed it with immune booster and a dewormer. I thought she was getting better. We even upgraded their food to science diet plus special treats of wet food every Sundays.

Well we did our best. Life was tough, the bills are high but we pampered our babies.

Sushi has been a part of our lives even in her very short stint as our companion. She is sorely missed. She did have some very distinct, stinky turd that really blew us away. But we still love her and we are glad she has been around even for that short 3 months.


No comments:

Post a Comment

comments are moderated