Jan 19, 2012

Recipe of the day : Pork Chop Dinner with Rice and Veggies

It was too cold to go out today and go running. So I stayed at home, did the laundry, spent time with my nook and later on prepared dinner.

I have a Betty Crocker cookbook given by my mom 2 years ago. I have tried some dishes and they turned out really good. I wont take credit for how great a chef I am because all I did was follow the recipe. One of my favorites in that cookbook is the Classic Chili.


Some people tweak a recipe to their preference but when I was just beginning to cook using a cook book I tried to just adhere to the step by step instruction and the exact measurement of the ingredients.

Today I tried to use an alternative ingredient and made some adjustment to the measurement. You can find the same recipes online at the Betty Crocker website for FREE=).

INGREDIENTS:


6 pork boneless loin chops, 1/2 inch thick (1 1/4 lb)
2 cans (10 3/4 oz each) condensed reduced-fat cream of mushroom soup
1 bag (1 lb) frozen baby peas, carrots, pea pods and corn, thawed and drained
1 3/4 cups Progresso® chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
DIRECTIONS:

1. Spray 12-inch nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Cook pork in skillet about 5 minutes, turning once, until brown. Remove pork from skillet; keep warm.

2. Heat soup, vegetables and broth to boiling in same skillet, stirring occasionally. Stir in rice; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.

3. Top with pork. Cover and simmer about 5 minutes longer or until pork is slightly pink in center and rice is tender. 

Some adjustment to the original recipe: 


I was cooking just for me and the hubby so I took out 2 porkchops from the freezer. We didnt have brown rice so I used white rice. I thought it would be impractical to buy new stuff when we just bought 20lb of Carolina long grain rice the previous week.

I used one can of Campbell cream of mushroom soup (10 3/4 oz), mixed water (i used the empty can to measure the water), chicken broth (1 3/4 cup).

I also let the frozen veggies thaw and drain before I mixed it with the soup mixture. Then I added 3 cups of white rice.

It took more than 15 minutes for the rice to cook. If you use a thicker slab of porkchop, it will also take a bit longer for you to cook it on the skillet.

I didnt use the skillet to heat the soup, veggies and broth since it was too small to hold everything. I did put a scoop of the soup and broth mixture on the pan and mixed it with the juice left from the porkchop then poured it on the pot with the rest of the soup and broth mixture.

I let it simmer for 5 minutes then put the porkchop on top of the rice soup mixture and put the lid. I let the rice cook for 15 more minutes.


Ingredients photos:
my mom's rubber measuring cup

I used only 1 can of this

cooking spray

frozen veggie

Finished product:





You can have some soy sauce as a dip on the side. The meat is a little bland since it was not seasoned with any salt or pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments are moderated