Feb 16, 2010

First time Marathoner but more than a decade long runner

Ive been running since 1993. I have also competed in several races back in College. Back then we also had our weekly road runs going up the steep roads of Antipolo. I was hard as nails but the farthest Ive ever ran in my life was 10miles. After I graduated, I still jog every now and then but it was erratic. In fact there was never a year that I didnt at least go for a run at least once a week. I feel kinda sad though that I never ran a race again for almost a decade.

When I moved to Singapore, I resumed my love for running and I usually ran for 30 minutes to an hour. The good thing about it was I also quit smoking in 2007, right around the same time I consistenly ran each week.

I joined a race also that year around September of 2007 called Run for hope gig which was not exactly competitive. It was more a fun run for fund raising. Still I was happy with myself that I was fit and healthy and doing exactly what I have always wanted to do. Run consistently.

This went on for awhile until June of 2008. It was ironic since that was one of the most important and exciting part of my life. I got hitched and my husband moved to Singapore to be with me. Things were really perking up for me. However, my running came to an abrupt halt. I just got too busy with work and also lazy to jog. On top of that was also I went back to my bad vice.

I attempted to go jogging a few months after we moved in our new place, but I got tired so easily and I was so exhausted that it took me weeks to recover from that 20minute run.

It was not until we moved to Pasir Ris on May 2009 that I made that firm decision to go running again. Usually it would just be me running around at night until recently my husband has decided to join me in my bid to be fit.

Although I have been jogging since May of last year, I would say that it is only during the past 2 months thats everything is on a more even keel. I can confidently say that Im ready to do this on a regular basis.

I might sound like Im getting a little ahead of myself, but Ive decided this is the year to run that marathon Ive always dreamt of. Yes its high time for me to accomplish that feat I shouldve done years ago during my heyday in running.

Despite being laden with all sorts of injuries like my recent Plantar fasciitis and on and off bout with weather induced asthma, I dont think I will change my mind. Only something major like getting pregnant or a serious injury would make me defer this plan to join a marathon. I dont mind having a kid, but if I dont have that kid this year, then this will be my marathon year.

Since this is a plan, I have also done some research. My main source of information is Runner's World. Ive been reading it for a few months and Id say it probably has everything I need to know about finishing a marathon. I still do consult some other sites when it comes to nutrition and for supplementary reading.

My marathon plan seem simple but Im sure it wont be once I start it. For now Im doing the 16 week endurance training which is basically piling on the mileage per week. I am yet to join 5K and 10K races in the upcoming weeks but for the last 2 solid months, Ive been slowly increasing the distance from 2 to 3.5. Hopefully by March I can start from 5 going up to 8 miles.

I am still checking on what best plan will suit me. For now this one I found on runner's world website seem perfect.

Beginner's Plan

Week M T W T F S S Total
1* Rest 4 miles, including 4:00 TUT Rest 1-hour run Rest 4 miles 6 miles 15-16 miles
2 Rest 4 miles, including 4:00 TUT Rest 1-hour run Rest 4 miles 7 miles 15-16 miles
3 Rest 4 miles, including 5:00 TUT Rest 6 miles Rest Rest 8 miles 18-19 miles
4 Rest 4 miles, including 5:00 TUT Rest 6 miles Rest Rest 9 miles 18-19 miles
5 Rest 4 miles, including 3x2:00 AI Rest 4 miles Rest 5-K race 6-8 miles 19-21 miles
6 Rest 5 miles, including 6:00 TUT Rest 7 miles Rest Rest 10 miles 22-24 miles
7 Rest 5 miles, including 6:00 TUT Rest 7 miles Rest Rest 12 miles 22-24 miles
8 Rest 5 miles, including 7:00 TUT Rest 8 miles Rest Rest 12 miles 25-27 miles
9 Rest 5 miles, including 7:00UTUT Rest 8 miles Rest Rest 14miles 25-27 miles
10 Rest 5 miles, including 3x3:00 AI Rest 4 miles Rest 10-K race 5 miles 24 miles
11 Rest 5 miles, including 8:00 TUT Rest 9 miles Rest Rest 16 miles 30-32 miles
12 Rest 5 miles, including 8:00 TUT Rest 9 miles Rest Rest 18 miles 30-32 miles
13 Rest 5 miles, including 9:00 TUT Rest 10 miles Rest 4 miles 20 miles 39 miles
14 Rest 5 miles, including 9:00 TUT Rest 10 miles Rest 4 miles 10 miles 29 miles
15 Rest 3 miles, including 3X3:00 AI Rest 5 miles Rest 3 miles, including 3x2:00 AI 5 miles 16 miles
16 Rest 3 miles, Including 3x2:00 AI Rest 3-mile jog Rest 2-mile jog Marathon

Definitions:

Aerobic Intervals (AI): Timed repetitions (of 2:00 to 3:00 minutes) slightly faster than your normal training pace--enough to make you breathe harder, but still not go anaerobic (panting, gasping, verge-of-out-of-breath). Jog slowly after each repetition until you are refreshed enough to run the next.

Total Uphill Time (TUT): The total number of minutes you spend running semivigorously up inclines--could be repeats up the same hill or total uphill time over a hilly loop.

Easy Runs: mean totally comfortable and controlled. If you're running with someone else, you should be able to converse easily. You'll likely feel as if you could go faster. Don't. Here's some incentive to take it easy: You'll still burn about 100 calories for every mile that you run.

Long Runs: are any steady run at or longer than race distance designed to enhance endurance, which enables you to run longer and longer and feel strong doing it. A great long-run tip: Find a weekly training partner for this one. You'll have time to talk about anything that comes up.

Speedwork: means bursts of running shorter than race distance, some at your race goal pace, some faster. This improves cardiac strength, biomechanical efficiency, running economy, and the psychological toughness that racing demands.

Race Day Rules: Run slower than you feel like you should be running over the first 12-13 miles. Look around, chat a bit with those around you. And walk through the aid stations, drink fluids, take a little break, then slowly resume your running.

Of course the key to carrying out this whole plan is still consistency. This plan will commence only after April. The hardest part right now is taking the first few steps to go out of that door and do my daily jog. Its so humid outside. It's a pain in the ass just thinking about it.

But its the euphoric high that drives me. No aesthetic treatment has ever made me feel the way I do everytime I accomplish a 30 or 1 hour run.


Running quote for the day:

There are as many reasons for running as there are days in the year, years in my life. But mostly I run because I am an animal and a child, an artist and a saint. So, too, are you. Find your own play, your own self-renewing compulsion, and you will become the person you are meant to be. ~George Sheehan

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments are moderated