Feb 15, 2012

Recipe for Valentines Day - Indian Chicken Curry

One of my favorite dishes in Singapore is the authentic Indian Chicken Curry. Me and my husband used to have it at least every week back then. After Ive tried it, other variations of that dish just seem to pale in comparison. I always tend to look for the real thing. I want the distinct taste, spicy and fragrant.

When I moved back to my hometown though, I didnt have curry for a year and I really missed it.
I was able to have real Chicken Curry again a few months ago when I arrived in NYC. My husband brought me to this Indian restaurant in the city and the food was affordable and still came out really good.

So last night while I was thinking of what to prepare for the hubby this Valentine's day, I thought of a dish we both love, Indian Chicken Curry. I looked up the recipe online and discovered there are just too many ways to prepare it. I chose the one that seemed "right".


Some of the ingredients that I found on that link werent available at the regular grocery, so I had to research where I can find some of the spices. My mom suggested the one closest to the house.

Today I walked up to 1st avenue between 5th and 6th street and found the place my mom suggested. The place seemed to have all the spices one can think of. They even have catnip lined up along with the rest of the spices.


Other establishments I found on my way to the store.

colorful McDonald's

Bad Burger (there is a Good Burger joint thats why I thought this was funny)
Here is the recipe I found on the ALL RECIPES website:

Ingredients:

  • 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup cooking oil
  • 3/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons water
  • 1/2 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

Directions :

(This recipe's Ingredients were scaled to yield a new amount. The directions below still refer to the original recipe yield of 6 servings.)
  1. Sprinkle the chicken breasts with 2 teaspoons salt.
  2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat; partially cook the chicken in the hot oil in batches until completely browned. Transfer the browned chicken breasts to a plate and set aside.
  3. Reduce the heat under the skillet to medium-high; add the onion, garlic, and ginger to the oil remaining in the skillet and cook and stir until the onion turns translucent, about 8 minutes. Stir the curry powder, cumin, turmeric, coriander, cayenne, and 1 tablespoon of water into the onion mixture; allow to heat together for about 1 minute while stirring. Mix the tomatoes, yogurt, 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, and 1 teaspoon salt into the mixture. Return the chicken breast to the skillet along with any juices on the plate. Pour 1/2 cup water into the mixture; bring to a boil, turning the chicken to coat with the sauce. Sprinkle the garam masala and 1 tablespoon cilantro over the chicken.
  4. Cover the skillet and simmer until the chicken breasts are no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, about 20 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Sprinkle with lemon juice to serve.
Interestingly, the guy at the spice store gave me their own recipe while I was looking around for the ingredients.


I figured I cant go wrong on this recipe since the clerk who gave this to me probably prepares this dish all the time. But I thought no harm if I incorporate both the ALLRECIPE and the specialy store's own version.


curry powder

Garam Masala

Cardamom

Turmeric

All ingredients
and the finished product:


it tastes good of course with Nan:

Nan available also at the Dual Specialty store

Yum
I want to be modest but the hubby kept telling me it was really good. Mission accomplished, Im really happy he liked it.

**I followed the ALLRECIPE directions except I didnt use yogurt in the sauce. I also used fresh  instead of canned tomatoes.

I replaced the following :
  • 1/2 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt (used later with the cooked curry)

with :
  •   1 fresh plump tomato
  •  1/2 cup of coconut milk
I also added whatever ingredients indicated on the second recipe like :

  • 4 cardamom
  • 3-5 bay leaf
  • 3-5 cloves
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
My own additional ingredients:

  • potatoes and carrots, thinly sliced. Toss the potatoes along with chicken and curry and let it simmer for 25 minutes.You may put the carrots after the curry is done. The remaining heat will partially cook the carrots and it would still be crispy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments are moderated