Mar 28, 2010

Daily thoughts - on 10k

I have been consistently running for the past 3 months and yeah so far so good! It is really a great way to unwind after a tough day at work and yes ive shed a few pounds along the way. The compliments from friends and families have been generous and although that was not my main objective, it still comes as a wonderful incentive. All because Im doing something Ive loved for a long time.
Last December I wrote an entry on going back to running. I did run a couple of times that month but I also got lazy after a few days.Still, the desire was there and I just needed some nudge in the right direction.

Im proud to say that for the past 3 months, I have been jogging at least 3 x a week. The pace is getting better and Im able to run longer without getting too exhausted. Also, me and my hubby recently took part in a fund raising event where we did fairly okay on our time. It was not a race but like I said in that entry, I still want to get my own personal best.

5k is great. Its not too short a distance for a beginner, but its not as challenging for the seasoned semi masochist runner. Im yet to experience the real euphoric high I long for and I think the 10k would do give me that. Yes, its time for me to prepare for the near "mythical" 10k (as self magazine puts it). The last time I ran for 10k was way way back in college. It was actually a 10mile run that was "required" by our coach in our track team to register in. It was the farthest Ive ever ran in my life. After graduation from my University, I also stopped running on a regularl basis. Id still go running sometimes but usually once or 3x the most in an entire month.

I just havent ran a real race in more than 10 years.

And now although Ive been back for just a couple of months, I have made that decision that as long as I can, I will always run. Just for the love and sheer joy of it.

10k is therefore among my plans for the year and Im gonna work on my schedule to make it happen. I dont believe one is too old or busy to constantly be up for this kind of challenge. If the passion and commitment is there, I know anything is achievable. Of course there are still goals that seem frivolous, but running a 10K or marathon just isnt one of those. It can be done only if one wants it that bad. I do want it and its not because of any accolades that comes with it. Because I know that after all these years, I will always be a runner. My happy place is out there on the pavement.

Also there are so many people out there that are just so inspiring that I get ashamed of feeling sorry for myself sometimes. I just came across a runner who is old enough to be my mom and yet can run faster than me. Then of course there is the amazing story of Team Hoyt that has both made make me cry and feel good at the same time.

The marathon, is not the ultimate goal. It is just one of the things I would like to do on a yearly basis starting this year. the 10k is the preparation for that. The ultimate goal is to never stop running until my legs or my health fail me. But for now, Im going to enjoy and relish this life as a runner.

Here is the scheduled workout before I join my 10k run for April or early May.

Courtesy of Runner's World Smart Coach:

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments are moderated